Our customers cite 2 main reasons why they took the decision to have their loft boarded out.
- They wanted to create more valuable storage space with safe. easy access.
- They wanted to save hundreds of pounds per year on energy costs.
The short answer to this question is: Yes!
Getting your loft boarded in a new build home is a simple and hassle-free process; however, if you ask your builder, they may provide you with several different reasons why this isn’t possible. We're here to debunk some of these myths:
- Loft boarding will compress insulation
- This is untrue. Most loft boarding companies will use a special raised system that allows the flooring to sit above the insulation, leaving it undisturbed.
- The roof structure will not support loft boarding
- This is untrue. All UK homes equipped with loft hatches are designed to carry 25kg of permanent load for every square metre.
- It will cause damp
- This is untrue. Condensation can occur as a result of crushed insulation. As mentioned above, any reputable loft boarding company will use raised flooring to ensure airflow is maintained and damp is prevented.
- It will invalidate your warranty
- This is untrue. The NHBC guarantee contains no such policy that states loft boarding is forbidden. In fact, if you have serviceable equipment in your loft then NHBC regulations actually require this space to be boarded, for your protection.
- What invalidates my NHBC warranty?
- Your NHBC warranty will be invalidated if your loft boards are installed incorrectly and in a way that compromises structural integrity. Official recommendations state that there should be a 50mm gap between insulation and boards to ensure consistent airflow. Regulations also state that loft insulation should have a depth of 270mm. If your new loft boarding infringes upon these rules, you may find that this causes preventable problems such as condensation and mould. This will then void your NHBC warranty. When you consult a professional loft boarding company, this shouldn’t be a problem; they will be fully aware of all regulations and won’t do anything to put your warranty in jeopardy.
We've always offered a comprehensive warranty to our customers. That's one of the many reasons we get so much repeat business from our customers.
However, we are now happy to offer a full, no-quibble lifetime warranty on all our work.
This includes everything from the electrics, velux windows, plastering, boarding and insulation down to the smallest item - including lightbulbs and even the screws we use!
We are currently installing loft insulation and storage solutions throughout the North East of England, including (but not limited to);
- Whitley Bay